Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Those Were the Days

What happened to my love of anime? When I was young, I used to go crazy over the latest series. I watched 26 episode series in a day, waited agonizing over the newest episodes of ones that weren't finished yet, and spent night after night on the angelfire websites of old, reading character bios and badly written fanfiction. Now, its less and less of that every season.

It's not that I dislike anime. I'm still an expert. I still go to anime conventions and have a great time. I still read manga, and watch a series here or there. Its just that I'm jaded to it. I used to think all anime was cool. I'd watch anything that caught my eye and see it through to the last episode. Now, I can hardly get through an a 12-episode series. A 26-episode or multi-season series is almost asking too much. I can't concentrate. Even with anime I love, I get distracted. Maybe I skip an episode one week and then I'm thrown off track.

My horizons have significantly expanded. Now, instead of spending all my time drowning in anime, I read american comics and books. I watch television and movies, and I greatly enjoy the arts. I have lots of friends with lots of different interests, and I dabble in a lot of their hobbies as well. My world has broadened to include improv, dungeons and dragons, concerts, art galleries and language. I guess anime, while always in my heart, will have to move over to squeeze a bunch of other stuff in.

Fyi, my favorite anime and manga will always be one called Aria and its prequel Aqua. A more peaceful, wonderful manga there is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment