Wednesday, December 15, 2010

After years of expensive education, a car full of books and anticipation, I’m an expert on Shakespeare and that’s a hell of a lot, but the world doesn’t need scholars as much as I thought…

Being an Arts and Humanities major, or really any art-related major, is a lot different from getting an engineering degree or whatever, simply because when you tell people your major, they look at you like you're a total dumbass.

"Why are you getting an art degree?" they say. "What a waste of money!"

For some reason people think that getting an art degree is completely pointless. If I had a dime for the amount of times I've been told I'm going to be penniless, I'd be rich.



It's probably true. As many times as I've been asked the question "What can you do with an art degree?", you'd think I'd know the answer. But I don't. In fact, to be honest, I don't even want to be a professional artist. I love doing art, but I'd rather create art the way I want it and have people appreciate it for what it is. Working for someone who's going to constantly force me to change up my visions doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. So if that means that I never sell a single piece, I guess thats cool with me.

What I'd love to do is write novels. So many of my artistic ideas are more easily and creatively expressed through words and I really want to show them to the world. Unfortunately, one can't just decide to be a novelist and then just write a novel. I have to find a day job. And I, frankly, have absolutely no idea what that's going to be.

So why am I getting this degree then? And the only answer I have is, why not?

I absolutely abhor mathematics, and I don't like science much better. I'm completely incapable when it comes to anything involving numbers, and I honestly can't think of anything I enjoy that isn't related to art in some way. I guess you could say I'm completely right brained. Getting a degree that specializes in art, writing, history and so on may seem like a bad idea, but why would I spend money on something I'm not going to enjoy? I know I'm not going to make much money at it unless something amazing happens, but atleast I'll be having fun, writing books and painting pretty pictures and doing whatever else it is I'll do.

Do I want to be fabulously wealthy? Of course. Do I want to shell out wads of cash in order to live in a tiny cramped apartment in New York City? You bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment