Wednesday, December 15, 2010

15 Items or Less.

Life at Kroger is a frustrating one. It's funny how you never notice the injustice that people endure until you work retail. Don't get me wrong. I don't suffer constantly at my work. The majority of my customers are nice and polite, even when they do things that irk me like ignore the fine print on coupons or take five minutes to write a check. I'm always nice and polite, since not only is it my job, its in my nature to be courteous as much as possible. Yet, there are times when I've faced a particularly uncouth person and thought afterwards that I'd never been treated thusly in all my life. I feel like some people honestly believe one or more of the following:
a) I'm their servant, here to cater to their every whim.
b) I'm an idiot (because I work at a grocery store, get it?) who they need to show how to do her job, which is insulting not only to me, but to all my coworkers, most of whom are strikingly intelligent.
c) I'm out to get them. They blame every mistake on me and don't seem to believe me when I apologize for mistakes I did make. They assume I'm trying to cheat them, overcharge them and ignore the fact that I'm only a cashier and have no control over prices.

I just wish people would show me the same respect I show them. Is it so hard to be nice to the girl behind the counter? To not treat her like she's dumb or shady just because she works at a grocery store?

And for God's sake, put down the friggin phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment