Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Memories are Manila

I love paper. You know why? I'm an artist, and a writer, and in my opinion there's nothing more valuble than paper. Why you can use it to draw on! You can use it to write on! You can use it to print words and pictures on! You can give people papercuts! There's so many useful things you can do with paper, so why is it that we use less and less?
I guess its a good thing, to save trees. Its just a little sad. For someone who views paper as a precious resource, seeing it go away is depressing. I think about how many centuries of information has gone on to paper. How many people have told their stories or drawn their pictures or written their music on paper. To see it all go away with the advent of the internet and mobile phones and tablets breaks my heart a little. I'm sure its for the best. If there's a smaller demand for paper, there will be fewer trees cut down.

Still...fifty years from now, will we look back on paper and think of it as a silly invention from an uncivilized society? Will paper just be a memory?

No comments:

Post a Comment